The Museums of Western Colorado offer a number of options for educators.
- Cross Orchards Historic Site: Students experience history at a historic orchard.
- Museum of the West: Provides students with an overview of Western Slope prehistory and history.
- Dinosaur Journey Museum: Teaches students about geology and paleontology, with special focus on the Western Slope.
Education Kits: Are available for checkout and come with curriculum and teacher training materials.
- Prehistoric Native Americans: The “Ancient Ones” kit provides students with an understanding of the peoples that inhabited the Western Slope before the arrival of the Utes. They learn about their environments and lifeways and how these changed over time. (District 51, Unit 2)
- Settlement: “Clues on the Landscape” kit provides students with activities based on object observation, map readings and primary source documents. Geared towards state standards for 2nd grade. (District 51, Unit 2)
- Paleontology: focuses on the natural history of the Grand Valley and western Colorado over the last 225 million years. Students can interact with casts and real fossils in engaging, standards-based embedded activities. Geared towards state standards for middle and high school grades.
For more information on Educational Programing at the Museums of Western Colorado, visit https://museumofwesternco.com/learn/school-programs/